4. Nimgaonkar V, Wessely S, Tune L, Murray R. Response to Drugs in Schizophrenia. A Prospective Study of the Influence of Family History, Perinatal Trauma and Brain Ventricular Enlargement. Psychol Medicine 1988; 18; 583-592.
5. Fahy T, Wessely S, David A. Cannibals, Vampires and Werewolves. Med Sci Law 1988; 28; 145-149.
6. Appleby L, Wessely S. The Influence of the Hungerford Massacre on the Public Opinion of Mental Illness. Medicine, Science & Law 1988; 28; 291 – 295.
11. Wessely S, Taylor P. Madness and crime; criminology or psychiatry?. Criminal Behaviour & Mental Health 1991; 1; 193-228.
12. Garety P, Helmsley D, Wessely S. Cognitive processes in schizophrenic and paranoid patients. J Nervous Mental Diseases 1991; 179: 194-201.
13. Castle D, Wessely S, Der G, Murray R. The incidence of schizophrenia in Camberwell; 1964-1984. Br J Psychiatry 1991; 159; 790-794.
16. Farmer A, Wessely S, Castle D, McGuffin P. Methodological Problems in the Assessment of Psychosis. Br J Psychiatry 1992; 161; 824-830.
23. Williams J, Farmer A, Wessely S, Castle D, McGuffin P. Heterogeneity in Schizophrenia: an extended replication of the hebephrenic like (‘H’) and paranoid like (‘P’) sub-types. Psychiatry Research 1993: 49:199-210.
25. Wilkie A, Wessely S. Patients with medically unexplained symptoms. Br J Hosp Medicine 1994; 51; 421-427.
36. Van Os J, Takei N, Castle D, Wessely S, Der G, Murray R. Premorbid abnormalities in mania, schizomania, acute schizophrenia and chronic schizophrenia. Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology 1996; 30:274-278.
40. Howard L, Wessely S. Reappraising reassurance-the role of investigations. J Psychosom Res, 1996; 41:307-311
43. Wessely S. The epidemiology of crime, violence and schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry 1997; 170 (suppl 32), 8-11.
44. Woodruff P, Higgins E, du Vivier A, Wessely S. Psychiatric illness in dermatological conditions. General Hospital Psychiatry 1997: 19:29-35
46. Neeleman J, Wessely S. Misclassification of suicide in England and Wales: increase over time and association with Coroner’s training. Psychol Med 1997; 27:467-472
49. Euba R, Chalder T, Wallace P, Wright D, Wessely S. Self reported allergic symptoms and psychological morbidity in primary care. Int J Psychiatry Medicine 1997; 27:47-56
51. Kouyanou K, Pither C, Wessely S. Iatrogenesis and chronic pain. Psychosomatic Medicine 1997: 59:597-604.
55. Neeleman J, Wessely S, Lewis G. Suicide acceptance in African Americans- The role of religion. Journal of Nervous & Mental Disease 1998: 186: 12-16
56. Wessely S, Bisson J, Rose S. A systematic review of brief psychological interventions (“debriefing”) for the treatment of immediate trauma related symptoms and the prevention of posttraumatic stress disorder. In: Oakley-Browne M, Churchill R, Gill D, Trivedi M, Wessely S eds). Depression, Anxiety and Neurosis Module of the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 1998, Available in the Cochrane Library. The Cochrane Collaboration, Issue 2, Update Software, Oxford 1998. Updated quarterly.
58. Kouyanou K, Pither C, Rabe-Hesketh S, Wessely S. A comparative study of iatrogenesis, medication abuse, and psychiatric morbidity in chronic pain patients with and without medically explained symptoms. Pain 1998: 76: 417-426
60. Hotopf M, Mayou R, Wadworth M, Wessely S. Which comes first: Psychiatric disorder or physical symptoms? Results from a National Birth Cohort. Br J Psych 1998: 173: 255-261
61. Crawford M, Wessely S. Self discharge from A+E is a risk factor for repetition of deliberate self-harm. BMJ 1998 317:985
62. Crawford M, Wessely S. The changing epidemiology of deliberate self harm – implications for service provision. Health Trends 1998: 30: 66-68
63. Churchill R, Wessely, S. and Lewis, G. A systematic review and meta analysis of the combination of antidepressants and psychotherapy for treatment of depression. [Protocol]. In: Oakley Browne M, Bech P, Churchill R, Gill D, Hazell P, Trivedi M, Wessely S (eds). Depression, Anxiety and Neurosis Module of The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, [updated July 1997, Jan 1999]. Available in The Cochrane Library [database on disk and CDROM]. The Cochrane Collaboration; Issue 3. Oxford: Update Software; 1997. Updated quarterly.
65. Weiner A, Wessely S, Lewis G. “You don’t give me give me flowers anymore”: An analysis of gift giving to medical and psychiatric inpatients. Social Psychiatry & Psychiatric Epidemiology 1999: 34: 136-140
71. De Lima M, Hotopf M, Wessely S. The efficacy of drug treatments for dysthymia: a systematic review and meta analysis. Psychol Med 1999: 29: 1273-1289
73. Brunello N, Akiskal H, Boyer P, Gessa G, Howland R, Langer S, Mendlewicz J, De Souza M, Placidi G, Racagni G, Wessely S. Dysthymia: clinical picture extent of overlap with chronic fatigue syndrome, neuropharmacological considerations, and new therapeutic vistas. J Affective Disorders 1999:52: 275-290
74. Hunot V, Churchill R, McGuire H, Knapp M, Corney R, Tylee A, Wessely S. A systematic review of brief psychological treatments for depression. Counselling 1999; 10:225-226
75. Hunot V, Churchill R, McGuire H, Knapp M, Corney R, Tylee A, Wessely S. Brief psychological treatments for depression. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, Issue 3, 1999, Oxford, Update Software.
78. Hotopf M, Wilson Jones C, Mayou R, Wadsworth M, Wessely S.Childhood predictors ofadult medically unexplained hospitalizations: results from a national birth cohort study. Br J Psych 2000: 176: 273-280
80. Crawford M, Wessely S. The management of patients following deliberate self harm-what happens to those discharged from hospital to GP care? Primary Care Psychiatry 2000; 6: 61-65
86. Reid, S. Jackson, M. Whooley, D. Crayford, T. Wessely, S. Hotopf, M. Medically Unexplained symptoms – the attitudes of general practitioners. Family Practice 2001: 18:, 519-523
87. Reid S, Hull K, Unwin C, Hotopf M, David A, Wessely S. Reported chemical sensitivities in a health survey of UK military personnel. Occupational & Environmental Health 2002: 59: 196-198
99. Richie E, Friedman M, Watson P, Ursano R, Wessely S, Flynn B. Mass violence and early mental health intervention: a proposed application of best practice guidelines to chemical, biological and radiological attacks. Military Medicine 2004: 169: 575-579
101. Raymont V, Bingley W, Buchanan A, David A, Hayward P, Wessely S, Hotopf M. Prevalence of mental incapacity in medical inpatients and associated risk factors: cross sectional study. Lancet 2004: 364: 1421-1427
104. Candy, B. Chalder, T. Cleare, A. Wessely, S. Hotopf, M. What advice do patients with infectious mononucleosis report being given by their general practitioner? J Psychosom Research 2005: 58: 435-437
105. Howard L, Wessely S, Leese M, Page L, McCrone P, Husain K, Tong J, Downson A. Are investigations reassuring or anxiogenic? A randomised controlled trial into the role of neuroimaging in chronic benign headache. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2005; 76: 1558-1564.
107. Kennedy T, Jones R, Darnley S, Seed P, Wessely S, Chalder T. Cognitive behaviour therapy versus antispasmodic therapy for irritable bowel syndrome in primary care: a randomised controlled trial, Br Med J 2005: 331: 435-437.
108. Katona C, Peveler R, Dowrick C, Wessely S, Feinman C, Gask L, Lloyd H, de Williams A, Wager E. Pain symptoms in depression: definition and clinical significance. Clinical Medicine 2005: 5: 390-395.
109. Rubin GJ, Hahn G, Allberry E, Innes R, Wessely S.. Drawn to drink: A double-blind randomised cross-over trial of the effects of magnets on the taste of cheap red wine. Journal of Wine Research 2005: 161: 1-5.
110. Rubin J, Brewin C, Greenberg N, Simpson J, Wessely S. Psychological and behavioural reactions to the bombings in London on 7 July 2005: cross sectional survey of a representative sample of Londoners. British Medical Journal 2005. 311: 606-610
111. Jones E, Woolven R, Durodie W, Wessely S. Public Panic and Morale: Second World War Civilian Responses Reexamined in the Light of the Current Antiterrorist Campaign. Journal of Risk Research 2006:9, 57-73.
114. Hughes G, Martinez C, Myon C, Taleb C, Wessely S. The impact of a diagnosis of fibromyalgia on healthcare resource use by primary care patients in the UK; A population based study. Arthritis & Rheumatism 2006: 54: 177-183
116. Werneke U, Horn O, Maryon-Davis A, Hutchinson B, Wessely S, Schnaar A, Donnan A, McPherson K. Screening for breast and cervical cancer in patients with mental illness. J Epi Comm Health 2006: 60: 600-605
122. Raymont, V. Bingley, W. Buchanan, A. David, A. Hayward, P. Wessely, S. Hotopf, M. The Inter-rater Reliability of Assessments of Mental Capacity. International Journal of Law and Psychiatry2007: 30: 112-117
125. Samele C, Patel M, Boydell J, Leese M, Wessely S, Murray R. Physical illness and lifestyle risk factors in first presentation cases with psychosis: a matched case control study. Soc Psych Psych Epi, 2007: 42: 117-124
126. Rubin G, Brewin C, Greenberg N, Hacker Hughes J, Simpson J, Wessely S. Predictors of persistent distress following terrorism: a seven month follow up survey of reactions to the bombings in London on 7 July 2005. Br J Psychiatry 2007: 190: 350-356
128. Rubin G, Page L, Morgan O, Pinder R, Riley P, Hatch S, Maguire H, Catchpole M, Simpson J, Wessely S. Public information needs after the poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko with polonium-210 in London: Cross sectional telephone survey and qualitative analysis. BMJ 2007: 335: 1143-1146.
131. Das Munshi J, Rubin G, Wessely S. Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head & Neck Surgery 2007: 15: 274-280
134. Tate R, Jones M, Fear N, Hull L, Rona R, Wessely S, Hotopf M, How many mailouts? Could attempts to increase the response rate in the Iraq war cohort study be counter productive?.BMC Medical Research Methodology 2007, 7:51
135. Stuart J, Ursano R, Fullerton C, Wessely S. Belief in exposure to chemical and biological agents in Persian Gulf War soldiers J Nerv Mental Disease 2008: 196: 122-127
139. Annemans L, Wessely S, Spaepen E, Caekelbergh K, Caubere J, le Lat K, Taleb C. Health economic consequences related to the diagnosis of the fibromyalgia syndrome. Arthritis Rheumatism 2008: 58: 895-902
140. Bartholomew R, Wessely S. Canada’s “Toxic Bus”: The new challenge for law enforcement in the post-9/11 world/Mass psychogenic illness. Canadian Journal of Criminology and Criminal Justice 2008: 49;657-671
141. Nieto-Hernandez R, Rubin G, Cleare A, Weinman J, Wessely S. Can evidence change belief? Reported mobile sensitivity following individual feedback of an inability to discriminate active from sham signals. J Psychosomatic Research 2008: 65: 453-460
142. Rubin J, Amlot R, Page L, Wessely S. Methodological challenges in assessing general population reactions in the immediate aftermath of a terrorist attack. Int J Methods in Psychiatric Research 2008: 17: S29-S35.
153. Rubin G, Nieto-Hernandez R, Wessely S. Idiopathic environmental intolerance attributed to electromagnetic fields (formerly “electromagnetic hypersensitivity”): An updated systematic review of provocation studies. Bioelectromagnetics 2010: 31: 1-11
155. Rubin J, Amlot R, Carter H, Large S, Wessely S, Page L.: Reassuring and managing patients with concerns about swine flu: Qualitative interviews with callers to NHS Direct. BMC Public Health 2010: 10: 451
157. Dickmann P, Rubin G, Gaber W, Wessely S, Wicker S, Serve H, Gottschalk R. New Influenza A/H1N1 (“Swine Flu”) : information needs of airport passengers and staff. Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 2011: 5: 39-46
158. Nieto-Hernandez R, Rubin G, Williams J, Cleare A, Wessely S. Can exposure to Terrestial Trunked Radio (TETRA) cause subjective symptoms? A randomized double blind provocation study. Occupational Environmental Medicine 2011: 68: 339-344
159. Tak L, Cleare A, Ormel J, Manoharan A, Kok I, Wessely S, Rosmalen J. Meta-analysis and meta-regression of HPA –axis activity in functional somatic disorders. Biological Psychology 2011: 87: 183-194
160. Page L, Seetharaman S, Suhail I, Rubin J, Wessely S, Pereria J. Using electronic patient records to assess the impact of swine flu (Influenza H1N1) on mental health patients. J Mental Health 2011: 20: 60-69
161. Mykletun A, Glozier N, Wenzel H, Overland S, Harvey S, Wessely S, Hotopf M. Reverse causality in the association between whiplash and anxiety and depression: the HUNT study. Spine 2011: 36: 1380-1386
162. Leone S, Wessely S, Huibers M, Knottnerus J, Kant U. Two sides of the same coin? On the history and phenonomology of burnout. Psychology & Health 2011: 26: 449-464.
164. Rubin GJ, Amlot R, Wessely S, Greenberg N. Anxiety, distress and anger among British nationals in Japan following the Fukushima nuclear accident. British Journal of Psychiatry 2012; 201: 400-407.
165. Pearce J, Rubin G, Amlot R, Wessely S, Rogers B. Communicating Public Health Advice after a Chemical Spill. Results from National Surveys in the United Kingdom and Poland. Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness 2012: doi:10.1001/dmp.2012.56
168. Maercker A, Brewin C, Bryant R, Cloitre M, Reed G, van Ommeren M, Humayun A, Jones L, Kagee A, Llosa A, Rousseau C, Somasundaram D, Souza R, Suzuki Y, Weissbecker I, Wessely S, First M, Saxena S. Proposals for mental disorders specifically associated with stress in the ICD-11. Lancet April 11, 2013 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/ S0140-6736(12)62191-6
169. Bizrah M, Iacoponi E, Parker E, Rymer J, Iversen A, Wessely S. A novel method of assessing quality of postgraduate psychiatry training: experiences from a large training programme. BMC Med Education 2013: 13; 85
174. Chris Millard, Simon Wesselly. Parity of esteem between mental and physical health means different things to different people, making it difficult to enforce. BMJ 2014; 349: g6821 doi: 10.1136/bmj.g6821
176. Neil Greenberg, Simon Wessely, and Til Wykes. Potential mental health consequences for workers in the Ebola regions of West Africa – a lesson for all challenging environments. J Ment Health, 2015; 24(1): 1–3
177. Maercker A, Brewin C, Bryant R, Cloitre M, Reed G, van Ommeren M, Humayun A, Jones L, Kagee A, Llosa A, Rousseau C, Somasundaram D, Souza R, Suzuki Y, Weissbecker I, Wessely S, First M, Saxena S. Proposals for mental disorders specifically associated with stress in the ICD-11. Lancet 2013: 381: 1683-1685
178. Deborah Arnott chief executive, Action on Smoking and Health (ASH), London, UK, Simon Wessely president, Royal College of Psychiatrists, London, Michael Fitzpatrick former GP and writer, London. Maudsley Debate: Should psychiatric hospitals completely ban smoking? BMJ 2015;351:h5654 doi: 10.1136/bmj.h5654
181. Neil Greenberg, Mary Docherty, Sam Gnanapragasam, Simon Wessely. Managing mental health challenges faced by healthcare workers during covid-19 pandemic. BMJ 2020; 368 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.m1211
Blumenthal S, Wessely S. (1992). The Diversion from Custody of the Mentally Abnormal Offender: A National Survey. Department of Health.
Blumenthal S, Wessely S. (1993). The Operation of Mental Health Review Tribunals. Department of Health.
Akhurst M, Brown I, Wessely S. (1995). Dying for Help: Offenders at risk of Suicide. London; Association of Chief Probation Officers
Wall S, Buchanan A, Hotopf M, Wessely S, Churchill R (1999). A systematic review of data pertaining to the Mental Health Act (1983). Report to the Department of Health. London, Her Majesty’s Stationery Office, 1999
Jones E, Wessely S. The Rise of Veteran Support Groups – 1919 – 1999. Report for Ministry of Defence, 1999.
Churchill R, Hunot, V, Corney, R., Knapp, M., Tylee, A. & Wessely, S. Brief psychotherapy for depression. HTA monograph 2002 (in press).
Rona RJ, Dodds W, Jones M, Wessely S, Leadbeter D, Snashall D. Report on the current health information systems available in the UK Armed Services and their suitability for a Health Surveillance System (HSS), Nov 2000.
Ritchie C, Friedman M, Ruzek J, Schnuur P, Watson P, Wessely S, Orner R. Consensus Guidelines on Mental Health and Mass Violence. National Institutes of Health, 2002
Wessely S. Proceedings of a NATO Workshop on the Social and Psychological Consequences of Chemical, Biological and Radiological Terrorism. 2002, NATO
Dandeker C, Iversen S, Ross J, Wessely S. Improving Cross Departmental Support for Veterans. London, HMSO, 2003. http://www.mod.uk/publications/vets_svcs/
Dandeker C, Thomas S, Dolan M, Chapman F, Ross J. Feasibility study on the extent, causes, impact and costs of rough sleeping and homelessness amongst ex service personnel in a sample of Local Authorities in England. Unpublished Research Report, MOD 2004
Rona R, French C, Hooper R, Jones M, Wessely S. Report on the Development and Evaluation of Process of Health Screening for the UK MOD. Unpublished Research Report for MOD, July 2003.
Staden L, French C, Iversen A, Dandeker C, Wessely S. Post discharge mentoring for vulnerable service leavers. Unpublished Research Report, MOD 2005.
Fernando A, Atloe C, Jaye P, Cross P, Pathan J, Wessely S. Improving interprofessional approaches to physical and psychiatric comorbidities through simulation. Clinical Simulation in Nursing 2017: 13;183-193